Monday, April 18, 2005

About fatalism

About fatalism

Gay men have a fascination for straight men. In a word, that's called 'fatalism'. In an idiom, that's called 'moths to a flame'. In a nutshell, it's a recipe for silliness.

How do you explain it then? Something stupid about wanting the 'forbidden fruit'? God, that sounds corny. There's a challenge there, somewhere, says XYZ to me. XYZ is this person I used to know in my earliest gay years, who practically raised me to my heights of gay proficiency, and who devotes himself nowadays solely to the pursuit of straight men. If I were to believe him, it would seem that his run rate is not too bad, either. But then, I saw one of his intended victims the other day, and judging by that specimen, I would prefer being run out for a duck had I been in his position.

In a word: fatalism.

As any gay man will tell you, there are countless straight men out there who will turn homosexual for an hour. They're not closet gays. Not even remote. What propells them to turn gay for those few minutes? The idea of a blowjob? The curiosity of a lifetime? I'm not really sure. But that's what drives straight-aholics like XYZ, that's what incites them.

Let's be clear: straight men like being the object of unqualified admiration, be it by a woman or a gay man. How else do you explain that gorgeous creature across the bar from me last night who kept on staring at me and my friends, while it was utterly clear that we were discussing the texture of his chest hair?! He smiled at us a couple of times, and then turned deadpan, a sphinx who thinks he's something special, a straight man who's out to fox his gay compatriots. He would have died a slow, excruciating death of embarassment, had he known that this particular bar is full of curious young men like him who taunt and smile at happy young men like me, always sure to never do anything more, freeze up in response to anything remotely like a pick-up...

Aaa, well. I suppose it's fatalism on both sides.

No comments: