Sunday, August 13, 2006

If you thought Carrie Bradshaw was a manic, you haven't met...

If you thought Carrie Bradshaw was a manic, you haven't met...

The idea for the evening was to go see Omkara by myself. Everyone else I know has already seen it - some, more than just once - and so, despite some warnings (SnowWhite's Stepmother saying "You won't understand it - the dialect is hardcore North Indian Hindi, and you don't know that!" HARRUMPH!) Closetalk gets into a cab and barks at the cabbie.

Well, sadly enough, SS' curse struck home, and I didn't get to see Omkara cuz the theatre was 'houseful'. Briefly, I considered taking the train to Bandra or even Mumbai Central to catch the movie at a later show, but gave up when I recalled the early day at work I have tomorrow. Instead, I decided some retail therapy was in order. Last year I'd bought myself my beautiful TIMEX for my birthday, and so I decided another high-profile purchase was in order ahead of next week.

The train was caught, and I soon found myself at Lifestyle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bad idea.

I entered the damn place around 9 pm, and finally left at about eleven thirty. Within two and a half hours, I spent an amount of money equivalent to my monthly rent. Not something I'm very proud of. But it was all on sale....!!!!

Hell, that's gotta count for something! Right? Right? Riiiiiggghhhttt?????

Naaa, that argument doesn't cut ice even with myself. *sigh* Strange to find myself in this position. I mean, I'm hardly your everyday extravagant shopper, though I may fancy almost everything I see in a shop - that's cuz I rarely act on the impulse and buy. I suppose, everyone has a break-even point, though, and mine was this evening. When I entered Lifestyle, I told myself I'd buy a pair of pointy-toed shoes, the ones that SS calls "witchy-bitchy shoes". I couldn't find any, though. I looked around, but found instead a pair of Red Tape shoes I really liked. Keeping prudence in mind, however, I deserted Lifestyle and popped into Inc. 5, Metro and Citywalk in turn to see whether they had my "witchy-bitchy" togs. They did - at an outrageous price, and so prudence won out again, pushing me back to Lifestyle. Decided I'd buy myself the Red Tape pair only - hell, even that was pricey, but at 2 grand, it was still less than half the price of the shoes at the other shops.

At Lifestyle, however, I was diverted at the clothes' department. Got stunned at the sale and the fact that they were selling Bossinni t-shirts at Rs 250, and so I made multiple trips to the trial rooms. Finally, after picking and choosing my way through the entire mens' floor (I'm a tiresome shopper, as anyone who's been shopping with me will attest to!), I head upstairs to pick up the Red Tapes I'd decided on. The tshirts I explain away to my conscience, as "once-in-a-while-only-cuz-there's-sale" purchases, and it helps that I got them cheaper than their normal rates. *whew*

Upstairs, I try on my new shoes. But then, there's this other pair of boots that I really like: tall and black leather, with zippers at the side that make the most delicious sound ever when you tug them down. ;-) Not even trouser zippers, before the mating ritual, make that heavenly noise - this smells of M-A-N all over! So I traipse around in front of a bemused salesman alternating between the Red Tapes and the boots. I've always lusted after boots, I tell myself, and my conscience fires off a stern lecture, recognising the beginning of another excuse coming up. ;-) So that's when I decide to give prudence another chance, wave the boots goodbye and settle finally on the Red Tapes.

By this time, though, I've also noticed this sexy pair of Lee Cooper flip-flops, and I try them on as well. What luck - they're also on sale: a good thousand bucks cheaper than they would normally cost! The conscience is slightly mollified by my sacrifice of the boots (Why do I keep hearing Nancy Sinatra in my head now?), so I'm allowed to pick up the flip-flops. I careen in front of the mirror, one foot in Red Tape, the other in Lee Cooper, and enquire innocently of the salesman whether he has any other flip-flop styles. The devil beams at me, and drags me into a corner: none that I particularly like, but just as I turn to go back, what's that glistening there, catching the light on its shiny long red tapering noise, at eye-level with me....???

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Witchy-Bitchy Shoes!

Final Body Count:
1. Three tshirts
2. Lee Cooper flip-flops
3. Red Tape slip-ons
4. Witchy Bitchy Shoes
5. Artificial flowers for decoration
6. Silk cushion covers
7. Groceries: muesli, lite milk, chips and wafers, spicy dip

On the way back, Boy sends me an sms, replying to my earlier message informing him about the no-movie show: So, no movie means no popcorn, eh? Poor baby.

I replied: Nopes, no popcorn. Just a smoking credit card.

He's a bit puzzled, I'm sure.

No comments: