Sunday, June 01, 2008

Still Star-truck by the City...

So I'm back home in the Midwest, and (surprise, surprise!) I still have a NYC hangover. Apart from the long-awaited coming-out story, these last few days have been so amazing in so many ways. Walked out of the 42d street subway the other day, and found a great street fair in progress on Lexington Avenue, amazing street food, posters and artwork, and some fabulous scarfs and stoles. Picked up some swishy pashminas for mum and myself, and a I *heart* NY for dad, gulped a corn dog in true NYC style, and paddled over to Rockefeller Center. St. Patrick's Cathedral was amazing, and even though it felt so cheesy to snap pictures while some people were praying in the aisles, it didn't bother me too much. *grin* My feet tingled for ages, much after we got back to the hotel, because of our walks all across the city. Mmmmm...

And that's where the drink with the hunky Italian made up for sore feet. Yummy man, fabulous conversation, a dry martini and a happening bar. Now, that's NYC for you.

Photobucket

My trip ended with some other great vignettes: walking down Wall Street and contemplating the oncoming (?) US recession in front of the the NYSE; gazing up at Trinity Church reverentially; munching on some amazing lasagna and tiramisu at an authentic mom-and-pop Italian joint in Midtown; cursing the UN building authorities for taking down the world flags at night when we got there; walking through the lobby of Radio City Music Hall; eating chocolate softee ice cream cones at the Rockefeller Center; sorting through Prada and DKNY and pressing my nose against the Tiffany's glass window on 5th Avenue; reading the inscriptions on the WTC memorial wall and looking at the busy cranes working on the forthcoming (new and improved) WTC 2.0; hogging on some fantabulous Vietnamese fare at Chinatown (the one in Manhattan, not the others); sipping coffee in a funky Soho cafe; exploring Broadway and checking out the latest releases (again); wondering when I get to ride in the back of that marvelously white stretch limo snaking its way through Manhattan...

But it's good to be back here, with my baby. :) I missed yakking nineteen to the dozen with my Irish Coffee, missed snuggling with him on the sofa while watching moronic stuff on the telly; missed our long evening walks with the dog, and I'm certainly looking forward to cozying up in bed tonight! :) All those Jamaicans and Italians have got me horned up for the Irish tonight! *blush*

Photobucket

No comments: