Saturday, September 30, 2006

Queer As Closetalk

Queer As Closetalk

I'm not exactly your usual nut for television serials - my last regular was Friends, and even Will and Grace was more like a 'Ho hum, o, look what I accidentally channel-surfed to!' - so that's why I make a big deal about the series I've watched with serious and real enthusiasm. That's what prompted that very lengthy post on Sex and the City sometime back, and since then I've been meaning to post something on Queer As Folk (American version) as well.

To be honest, I've only caught Season Six of SATC on DVD, and Season Two of QAF, but that's been enough to label SATC 'profound' and QAF as, well, getting to 'profound'.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The DVD of QAF had been doing the rounds for quite sometime, and when I finally borrowed it, my Flatmate wanted to see the episodes too. So there we were, staying up late nights, watching successive episodes on our individual laptops. And drooling at different men.

Flatmate has the hots for the very enigmatic Brian Kinney. He strikes me as a Samantha Jones-wannabe, to tell the truth, but of course the Flatmate will hear none of that! Brian is rude, obsessed with sex, a chhupa rustum softy, and usually the guy who bails everyone else out in the end. Wiki says, "Heterosexual women and lesbians have often embraced the character more than gay men", and I think they've got it right to some extent - Brian is sooooo the gay guy other gay guys hate, but who they would want to be like, or so says the Flatmate! I started out with the last coupla episodes of QAF - II first, where Justin chooses the violin prodigy guy (cuuuutttee!) over Ice Cold Daddy Brian, and I hated Brian for treating Justin so offhandedly, and was quite glad when he gets dumped. But then, I saw the other episodes in order, and then changed my mind about the whole Justin-Brian drama. Just when you start asking, who broke the rules first, you realise that the rules are soooo lacking in gay relationships.

*gulp*

Ted is whiny. And so is Michael, though he's much cuter than Ted. I identify the most with good ole Emmett. I love the fact that he's a complete slut and unaplogetic about it. I love the little nuggets of wisdom that Wise Em spouts now and then, a la Ms Jones of SATC. And the ending of Season Two, with Ted and Em ending up together is simply too cute for words. Wise Em saves the day again, ra ra!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

;-)

Hottie of the series: Without a doubt, Robert Grant, who plays the HIV+ Professor Ben Bruckner lucky Michael is dating. I guess, being whiny has its share of unexpected benefits!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: